1 Which of the following dietary nutrients has been shown to play important roles in both vision and brain health, helping to preventing age-related macular degeneration and neurodegenerative diseases?
- Vitamin C
Lutein is well-known for its vision-enhancing properties and ability to prevent age-related macular degeneration. Research also suggests it has neuroprotective qualities, improving memory, boosting intelligence and helping prevent neurodegenerative diseases such as Alzheimer’s. Learn more.
2 Which of the following organizations lobbies for mandatory vaccinations, and is heavily funded by the CDC?
- The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO)
The National Association of County and City Health Officials (NACCHO), which has lobbied heavily for the removal of vaccine exemptions for religious, conscientious and philosophical beliefs, is heavily funded by the CDC. Learn more.
- The National Vaccine Information Center (NVIC)
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- The Association of American Physicians and Surgeons (AAPS)
3 How many cameras are predicted to be watching public movements across the globe by the end of 2021?
- 1 million
- 1 billion
By the end of 2021, approximately 1 billion cameras will be watching public movements across the globe. Cities are also inviting residents and businesses to plug their private surveillance cameras into their police network, which expands the surveillance system even further. Learn more.
- 100 million
- 10 billion
4 Which of the following dietary components have been shown to increase your risk of dementia?
- Trans fat
- Processed vegetable oils
- Refined grains
- All of the above
Diets high in trans fats, processed vegetable oils and refined sugar and grains, as well as insufficient cholesterol, raise your risk of dementia. Learn more.
5 Your heart rate variability is a measurement that represents:
- Your heart’s ability to increase output in response to physical exertion
- Your ability to have a “change of heart” when presented with new evidence
- Your heart’s ability to respond to physiological and environmental stress stimuli
Your heart rate variability (HRV) is a measure of the variations in time elapsed between your heartbeats, and is representative of your heart’s ability to respond to physiological and environmental stress stimuli. Learn more.
- Your body’s ability to produce heat shock proteins
6 What is the worst kind of plastic pollution?
- Plastic kitchen utensils
- Microbeads found in cosmetics
- Biosolids made from sewage waste
- Single-use plastics like bottles and grocery bags
The most destructive plastic pollution comes from single use plastics like bottles and grocery bags. Learn more.
7 Which of the following plants makes for an inexpensive yet highly nutritious animal feed when it’s fermented?
The Via Organica farm in Mexico is promoting a novel way to produce inexpensive yet highly nutritious animal feed made from native agave plants. Learn more.
- Prickly pear